Sunday 27 March 2011

London Toy Soldier Show

I had been thinking of going to this show for a while, and was contacted last week by Len Cooksey who runs Ivanhoe Figures (http://www.spanglefish.com/ivanhoefigures/index.asp).  Len lives only a few miles away from me and suggested that we go to the show together.  Apart from a horribly early start (Len arrived here at 0530) this worked out rather well and meant that Len benefited (?) from my services as unskilled labourer and ace toy soldier salesman for part of the day.

Naval ratings, officers & random staff officer by Sarum Soldiers
Happily, and despite family troubles earlier in the week, Bob Cordery was able to put in an appearance and we managed a wander round the show together before meeting his nephew Jonathan for coffee. 

Most of the traders deal in 54mm soldiers - anything from single plastic figures for under £1 each to boxed sets of painted metal toys for the sort of money I've often paid for cars.  My own purchases were modest.  I picked up another box of Italeri Mamelukes (£8.50 from Steve Weston (http://www.plasticsoldiers.co.uk/) and five figures from Sarum Soldiers' (http://www.sarumsoldiers.net/) rummage box (five for £10).  I could have easily spent more, much more, but I managed to keep in mind the large amount of stuff needing sorted out here.  It doesn't happen often.

4 comments:

Mosstrooper said...

Been thinking of trying to get to one of these events , sounds good

Tim Gow said...

Mosstrooper
It was a good opportunity to discover new (to me at least) manufacturers and to look at figures 'in the flesh' as it were, rather than just website photos. Where are you based?

Mosstrooper said...

North of Cumbria - bit of a trek down to London I'm afraid

Tim Gow said...

Mosstrooper
Quite! It's a long enough journey from Sheffield. Are you far off the M6? - I pass that way once in a while.