Monday 21 March 2011

An eclectic mix!

Regular readers of this blog (and visitors to my 'toy room') will be aware that I generally seem to have several (i.e. - too many) projects on the go at any point in time.  This was brought home to me last weekend when I realised that the bits and pieces on and around my modelling table included the following:
1. Three 20mm WW2 Japanese Kurogane scout cars - actually started in January but needing finished during March ('Car Month').

2. To accompany the cars I decided to paint some command figures, and the inevitable mission creep saw this increase to the figures for a complete infantry division.

3. A pair of 1/300 scale bunkers.  I found these in a box while looking for something else (no idea what that was...) and decided to sort them out.

4. A selection of additional figures for Forbodia - my fictional Funny Little Wars country.

5. Two 1/300 scale YAK-38 'Forger' VSTOL aircraft which have been hovering (sorry) around the table since December.

6. Three 20mm Arfix Japanese snipers left over from the batch I painted a couple of months ago.

Is it any wonder that sometimes when I stagger in here to do some fooling around with toys I don't know where to start?

14 comments:

Don M said...

sounds like every gamer to include myself that I have ever known!

Conrad Kinch said...

While focus is important - it would be a dull fellow indeed who never explored the side streets and alleyways.

Paul said...

Where would we be without Mission Creep!

I am to afraid to show my table.

Nice post!

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

I think we all have more than one project on the go at any one time - what works for me is to make sure that ONLY the stuff that us currently underway is on display. This means that should you want to dabble in something else then you have got to make the effort to get the blooming thing out of the box!

No answer on project creep though - my ACW naval collection being a prime example of this!

All the best,

DC

Tim Gow said...

Don
An ever wargamer I've known too!

Tim Gow said...

Conrad
True enough - focus is for work.

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I'm only prepared to show the table - not the rest of the room!

Tim Gow said...

David Crook
That is the approach I try to take - there is loads of stuff in drawers and boxes. From time to time I have to trawl through the boxes reminding myself of what there is.

Biff Tanner said...

Very cool!

west1871 said...

Looks far to clean to me mate, I awaiting satilite images of my mess to come in.

Cheers Rich.

Tim Gow said...

Biff Tanner
Welcome - I'm sure it'll all be a lot cooler when it's finished!

Tim Gow said...

west1871
I know what you mean Rich - I think I took the photo on quite a good day!

Sun of York said...

I can so relate to this. A few projects on the go is good, as you always have something to do while waiting for glue or paint to dry. But I tend to be a bit scattergun if I don't have a project to focus on.

Plus, it is good to have a mix of things as sometimes I feel like just doing a bit of basing rather than tackle detailed painting, especially if I'm tired.

Tim Gow said...

Sun of York
I know what you mean - my work tend to tire me mentally rather than physically, so it's lucky that so many modelling jobs require very little brain input.