Sunday 26 January 2014

Mobilising the Russians


As part of my preparations for the planned  'Tannenberg1914' Funny Little Wars game, I have decided I need yet more Russians!  A rummage in boxes yielded four boxes of  HAT Prussian Landwehr in the required 1/32 scale.  Although from a different era (but only a century adrift!) many of these chaps are wearing peaked caps and so bear (to my eyes at least) a passing resemblance to 1914 Russians.  Did I mention they were cheap?  Their shako-wearing chums were slung back in their boxes to await future inspiration....
I also discovered a couple of previously unemployed Armies in Plastic Russian officers who now each have a regiment to command!
The rather greasy blue plastic was cleaned up and the figures stuck on my usual 30x40mm MDF bases before being treated to a brushed on coat of PVA.

Next it's out with the green paint.

8 comments:

Don M said...

Should work if you don't look TOO closely...) You know what else would work is WWII Russians in over coats and fur hats,as long as they are not sporting Tommy guns....)

Tim Gow said...

Don M
I have some of the old Charbens furry hat types but I'm always on the look out for different figures...

Stephen Thomas said...

I used some of these figures to mix n match with AIP Prussian Landwehr when creating my Ruritainian Forresters. Check out the photos on FLW Yahoo - Tannenberg and you can see that they make excellent Russians.

My latest for the Tannenberg game. Bought on Ebay today - A Pzkpfw IV for converting to another Steam powered tractor for my BIG guns. This came with a German horse drawn wagon and crew thrown in. Both Italeri. :-)

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Tim,

Unless you are a real 'rivet counter' of the most extreme type, a figure with a peaked cap and overcoat should pass muster as a WW1 Russian on most days of the week.

All power to your (painting) elbow!

All the best,

Bob

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Thomas
These chaps will be joining a formation largely made up of AIP Landwehr figures, so I'm sure they'll fit in.

Tim Gow said...

Bob Cordery
Not a rivet in sight....

peter said...

Interesting project Tim! Looking forward to what you make of it!

Greetings
Peter

Tim Gow said...

Peter
I already have quite a few Russians (or Tratvians) but I firmly believe that one can never have too many...