Monday 7 November 2022

Plane brown box…

A couple of weeks ago I spotted a post on a motoring forum I frequent. A bloke was offloading some built aircraft kits in scales from 1/72 to 1/32. I sent a message saying that in the event of him failing to receive an offer of actual money, I’d be happy to re home them. While not exactly local, Ken (as I’ll call him in accordance with my usual witness protection programme) happened to be visiting the neighbouring county last weekend. Thus it was that on Saturday a drive into a dark and rainy Derbyshire saw me return with…..

…this box of mystery!

I unpacked it the following day and swiftly arranged to rehome the 1/32 WW1 models (3) with Tom, various 1/48 scale models (4) with Richard & Paul and then I got to the main business of the day - the 1/72 scale kits.  All beautifully built and painted to a high standard. And here they are.  Apologies as usual for the hurried photos.  

Stearman Kaydet, a US 1930s trainer. No markings. Not sure yet what I’ll do with it. 
Meteor. I really don’t need this but it’s sooooo nice!
Se5a. I’ve since dusted them all and added a coat of varnish. I think the WW1 models are mostly Revell. 
Sopwith Camel. 
A striking Fokker D.VII. The ‘camo’ is decals. 
Gladiator. 
Spad in unusual but welcome Italian markings. 
You can probably work this one out for yourselves! It’s very red. 
Fokker E.1 - like some of the others this has rigging wires made of thread. Well beyond my skills and patience!
Another Fokker D.VII. 
Bonus view of the eindekker. 

What a great collection. Well worth a couple of hours and 56 miles worth of petrol!  I assured Ken that all the models will get used and appreciated so expect to see them again. 

8 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Awesome looking birds Tim. You really hit the jackpot!

Brad DeSantis said...

An excellent collection indeed Tim! The detail of the wires is awesome! I look forward to their use in a future game!

Pete. said...

Lovely haul Tim.

Cheers,

Pete.

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
A very pleasing result!

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
The standard of finish is somewhere between impressive and frightening!

Tim Gow said...

Pete
I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to use them in person in the next few months.

John Y said...

A most impressive shipment! A lot of model builder youtubers seem very keen to model the rigging. I'll be lucky if my planes end up assembled and painted, never mind rigging!

Tim Gow said...

John Y
As it happens I have kits of most of these awaiting assembly - so that’s a job done!