Thursday 4 May 2023

Carrying on

I’m a big fan of the old diecast Lone Star Bren Carriers.  Some time ago I picked up a few with an assortment of crew figures and recently I decided to sort a couple out as a present (lucky them!) for my 54mm WW2 Sovs.  I gave them a rough coat of green paint - just enough to cover all the bare metal areas. The running gear can be much improved by painting it all black and then picking out the wheels and suspension units in the same green.  A bit of gunmetal on the tracks completed the painting.  The crew figures are hard plastic and look more USA than USSR, but as usual a bit of paint makes all the difference.  DP machine guns were added, along with Soviet markings - a combination of decals and paint.  A coat of gloss varnish finished them off.  



14 comments:

Chris Kemp said...

Another stunning paint conversion by T. Gow! :-)

Regards, Chris

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Excellent paint job! The simple way that you have painted the running gear is particularly effective.

All the best,

Bob

Archduke Piccolo said...

Simple and functional. Nice kit!

Brad DeSantis said...

Wow Tim, these really look great! Very well done!

tradgardmastare said...

Very nice!

Martin Rapier said...

Very nice. I'm afraid I shamelessly mix US and Soviet figures. Paint them khaki with green helmets and Noone can tell the difference.

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

They look great Tim

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
Thanks Chris. I was tempted to leave it at paint, but the figures make all the difference.

Tim Gow said...

Bob Cordery
I tried out the paint method on a couple of British carriers - the current location of which eludes me. I’ll shove them in front of the camera at some point.

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
Thanks. They take part in their third game tomorrow!

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
Quick and easy!

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
Thanks!

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
As Chris K has said - a successful paint conversion for both machines and men.

Tim Gow said...

Maudlin Jack Tar
Thanks. They look well in games.