Tuesday 2 May 2023

Plant a tree in 2023!

 I’ve been vaguely intending to rebase some trees for a while now.  I have a few individually based and could do with more.  To that end I dug out a box of multi-based trees and separated them.  My box of random mdf bases was raided for suitable 20x20mm squares. All were drilled and a tree threaded into each square, with a dab of PVA to keep them in place.  The following day I painted one base at a time then immediately thrust it into my box of flock.  When they’re dry I’ll brush off the surplus flock and er, that’s it.


As to the trees.  The nicer ones were bought at a show in the 1990s for something like £0.40 each.  And if you think that’s a bargain, the ‘Christmas’ style fir trees were bought in a model shop in Scotland in the 1980s for £0.05 each!  What great value terrain!  

8 comments:

Brad DeSantis said...

Great bargains Tim and they'll look great in your games!

MGB said...

Tim, I remember those fir trees, I bought a load from a Dorset toy shop in the 1980s, and they were about 5p each. Useful railway extras.
Michael

Archduke Piccolo said...

You can NEVER have too many trees, Tim. I have dozens, and I still think my woodlands a bit scrawny...

Martin Rapier said...

As the Archduke says, you can never have too many trees. I recently set up a scenario with completely exhausted my supply, but then I remembered I had a box of emergency reserve trees upstairs! (strange trees made of foam with nails for trunks).

My main smaller scale trees are also those railway trees with wire trunkks, I think mine date from the late 90s.

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
They've done 3-4 decades of service already - I expect plenty more work from them!

Tim Gow said...

MGB
I knew you were a fellow cheapskate!

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
Wise words!

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
It was a scenario-related panic which led to this frenzy of tree titivation. I have loads more of the 'Christmas' trees still to go. My emergency emergency emergency backup reserve trees were offloaded some years ago as they were terrible.