Saturday 20 February 2021

Sen Toku part 1 - the horror of war

As I write this it’s almost 11 months since I ran the first remote game for our Sheffield based group (& friends).  Since then we’ve managed a game (sometimes two!) each week since and seen a variety of games presented by at least ten different people.  For this week’s game I dug out Tim Price’s ‘Sen Toku’  - a committee game set in 1944 Japan in which the players have to plan and execute a dramatic mission with four of the huge new I-400 class submarines.  This game was first seen at COW some years ago and features in ‘Innovations in Wargaming Vol.1’ as published by the History of Wargaming Project.

Most of our regulars signed up and I drafted in a couple of ringers for special roles.  Players were emailed the briefings the day before and encouraged to bring silly hats and suitable flags. 



The Boss (Wednesday only)

Fleet Admiral

Nagano Osami

Imperial General Staff

John B

The Operational Strike Committee (in strict order of military seniority)

Captain

Kameto Kuroshima

Senior Staff Officer and Chair of the Committee

Simon W

Captain

Chikao Yamamoto

Staff Officer (later OC, I-404)

John A

Captain

Tanaka Ariizumi

Sen Toku Force Commander, OC I-400

Russell K

Commander

Yasuo Fujimori

Submarine Staff Officer of the Naval General Staff, responsible for the I-400 design (later OC, I-402)

Jack W

Commander

Teuhisa Komatsu

experienced submarine warfare commander, OC I-401

Martin R

Commander

Takeo Sugai

OC, 9th Special Naval Landing Force (Marine special forces)

Mark F

Commander

Soemu Toyoda

Nanao Naval Base, Support, Construction and Maintenance

Tim C

Technical Major

Teiji Takada

Number Nine Research Laboratory (Secret Weapon Projects)

Pete S

Minister

Nobusuke Kishi

Commerce & Industry (Industrial & Materiel Support)

Jerry E

Mr

Subaru Mitsubishi

Dockyard Superintendent, Nanao Naval Base (meeting facilitator and procurer of competitively priced Geishas for the Admiral)

Tim G

 On the Tuesday evening - our normal session times are 1945-2115 – the committee met to discuss their options.  Capt. Kuroshima had devised a scoring spreadsheet which he used to evaluate the several plans.  He did mention later that it had been “hard work….”


Coming next - enter the dragon Admiral

6 comments:

Trebian said...

I played in that at COW! I got to be the Admiral. I sat at the end of the table and glared at everyone. We had a great plan, and caused absolute havoc to the American war effort.

At least that's how I remember it.

Pete. said...

Really enjoyed this game- thanks for running it Tim. I had been wanting to play it ever since the book came out.

Cheers,

Pete.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I feel it safe tp say that the effects of this game were even felt in the US NWC
No greater honour can be awarded

Tim Gow said...

Trebian
I’m sure your memory doesn’t exaggerate!

Tim Gow said...

Pete
Glad you enjoyed it Pete.

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
I expect someone has noticed by now.