Friday 5 February 2021

32nd Battle of the Isonzo - artillery bombardment

 On Tuesday evening, having fed back to the players the results of the photo recce and received their final plans, we gathered by Zoom for a short session and executed the artillery fire plans.  Having fired off the ammo and had a chat, I ended the call and resolved the fire.  The effects were reported to the targets by email.  But of course there was no time to alter the plans as - in game terms - the assault began the moment the barrage lifted.

The KUK company dug in behind the crest of Hill 49.
Despite my notoriously poor gunnery many of the shells (they look a lot like matchsticks) actually landed on the table!  some of the resulting gunsmoke had a sinister greenish tinge - much coughing resulted - especially among the KUK company on the plateau.
Italian Infantry (the figures are Dulcop Bersaglieri) gather at A.  They seem very keen!
The gas thinned the KUK ranks and the wind carried it North.
The Italians poised to surge forward.
Entertainingly a gas shell hit the bunker on Hill 43.  This was occupied by not only an HMG but also the KUK Battalion CO (Martin).  He was not a happy man - especially after I revealed that both HQ and MG were stunned for D6 turns....
Two companies of Arditi on the Italian centre. All are either chucking grenades or brandishing knives.
The disturbing view from the Italian lines - that's a big hill!
Alpini prepare to assault - more Dulcop figures.

10 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

Dropping gas shells right on my HQ was an astonishing feat of gunnery!

The mountain covered in shell bursts looked fantastic.

John Y said...

I agree with Martin, the shell bursts on the mountain look great.

tradgardmastare said...

I too like the look of the thing and also these Dulcop figures look terrific!

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
It did look pretty good but I was happy enough just to land them on the table.

Tim Gow said...

John Y
Makes me glad I couldn't find my white 'snow' sheet as I'd planned.

Tim Gow said...

tradgardmastare
The Dulcop figures are a delight!

James Fisher said...

What a great start to this game Tim. I really like the transition of your terrain from the unspoiled green fields to the wasteland of the battlezone. Funnily, I am thinking trying to achieve exactly the same effect with green felt (and polystyrene sheets painted brown in my case) as I attempt some games for Verdun + 105 commencing soon year (and hopefully Somme + 105 later in the year). Seeing how effective yours is gives me more confidence.
I look forward to the next instalment with bated breath.
Regards, James

Tim Gow said...

James Fisher
The brown 'wastelend' - like my other terrain sheets - is a bedsheet which was roughly spray-painted about 20 years ago. It never gets folded, only scrunched up. It looks far better than it has any right to!

Pete. said...

Great stuff Tim- extra issue of ministrone soup and wine for the gunners who got the gas shell on the bunker.

Cheers,

Pete.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
A well deserved reward for the gunners!