Tuesday 3 July 2012

Pawn to be wild

The last of my recent flurry of 1/144 scale aircraft now.  These Petlyakov Pe-2s are single piece metal castings by True North.  As with their other models (see the recent posts on I-16 and IAR-80) a fair bit of cleaning up was required before painting. 
It took me a long time to include the Pe-2 in my VVS line-up as I had been steeling myself to bodge one up from a Bf-110 so you may imagine my relief when True North rode to the rescue with their model.
 With these recent additions to my Soviet air fleet it must be nearly time for another flypast!
 Though it initially entered service as a dive bomber (such was the fashion in 1940!) but was sussessful in other roles - heavy fighter, recce and night fighter.
 The title of the post?  The Russian nickname for the Pe-2 was Peshka (Pawn).  Sorry about that.

9 comments:

Paul said...

I am pretty sure Pawn means something else down here, not related to two engined fighters...Well not that closely related anyway.

I have been after one of these for a while in 1/72, but the only ones I see are rather pricey, even for a Airfix kit.

Nice job all around and a worthwhile addition to the Air Front.

The real question is will we see Johnny Red's Hurricane joining the fleet?

Model on!

Milgeek said...

Ooooow, that's REALLY nice! I haven't made a aircraft yet, but I do really like that clean style of painting.

Tim Gow said...

Paul
There was a previous discussion of Johnny Red: http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/red-sky-at-night.html. I'll keep an eye out for an Airfix Pe-2 for you.

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Beat
As always, you are most kind. I am quite pleased with the models though.

Chris Kemp said...

Brilliant Tim, I can see how to bodge one from a 110 now :O)

Regards, Chris

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Nice kit

Nearly made one of these in 1/72 in my youth from Airfix

It had a certain almost Mosquito quality about the look of it

Appealing like the Fw 189

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
It should be an easy bodge, but I still don't think the $7 each I paid for these was excessive!

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
The Pe2 certainly seemed to be used for a similar range of roles to the Mossie. I never had the Airfix Pe2 either. Were we deprived children?

Paul said...

Thats very kind of you Tim, but by the time you add the postage it would probably cost the same as the kit down here!

Too get three crew into that cockpit must have been a mission in itself.

Good luck at the COW.