Wednesday 28 November 2012

Fresco painting

I picked up this Hasegawa MIG-17 (NATO codename 'Fresco') in a batch of kits last year.  For reasons I can't fully explain I recently decided to knock it together.  It was the usual story - rummaging in a box looking for something else and there it was...
I can't say how old this kit is but the parts were very crisply moulded and it certainly went together well. 
After a bit of research I decided to finish the MIG in an overall silver ('bare metal') scheme, applied over a base coat of matt black.  More news when it's finished.

10 comments:

Broeders said...

Looks good so far.

Tim Gow said...

Phil Broeders
Things are generally OK until I start painting.....

Giano said...

Nice! I like the way you painted the silver colour, it's so hard to paint it this good.
May be a coincidence, but I'm working on a silver MiG-15 at the moment...

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

So it started silver and then you painted it black and now you're going to paint it silver. This is a great hobby isn't it?

AlFront said...

To paraphrase Sgt Wilson, 'Was a black undercoat wise?'

Tim Gow said...

Giano
That's the silver/grey plastic in the photos. Pics of the finished version coming soon.

Tim Gow said...

Ross Mac
Exactly! If I'd wanted to do something useful I'd have a different hobby...

Tim Gow said...

AlFront
It was suggested by another reader a while back and successfully tried on my 1/72 Sukhoi 'Flagon'. I quite like the finish it provides.

Giano said...

I've just broken my rule n° 1, never comment when dead tired :D

Though I'd love that silver plastic, it would spare me the pain of painting endless hands of silver to achieve only a half decent result :D

Tim Gow said...

Giano
Leaving plastic unpainted never seems to work in practice. I look forward to seeing your MIG15