Tuesday 27 November 2012

Batteries not included

When I was planning the Gibraltar Strait game the need for some coastal gun batteries became apparent.  Not having anything suitable in 1/1200 scale a spot of scratch building was clearly called for. 
I used florists wire for the gun barrels and the shields were cut from balsa.  To make the ensemble suitable robust I mounted the guns in pairs on card.  The size or the (rather over scale) emplacements can be gauged from the 1cm grid on my cutting mat in the photos.
 I decided that eight guns needed a command bunker so built one from more balsa.

For the Harbour Raid game I needed two single guns, so I simply cut down a pair I'd already made and mounted them on coins small enough to fit neatly on my Triang Minic breakwater ends.  They're not terribly accurate models but in this case function definitely beats form!

9 comments:

Fire at Will said...

Tim you need to add searchlight positions for firing at night, plus some dug in magazines. Just about to post a bit on my blog

Will

Chris Kemp said...

Recognition model:

"It's a shore battery".

Win! :O)

Kind regards, Chris

Tim Gow said...

Fire at Will
That's all there - but in this scale you probably can't see it....

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
It shore is.....

Al said...

Cool, nice work, very useful

davidcrawford19 said...

Those are really excellent Tim. I'm definitely going to have to run your Harbour Game in my own club in the new year.

I was just wondering if you've ever used any of your Yamatos yet? The Fletcher Pratt rules doesn't allow for 18" guns. Would there be any chance you would have sussed out ranges and armour penetration for them? I have to admit, I have no idea how to do this. :-(

davidcrawford19 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim Gow said...

Al
They've been in two games so far, so that makes them worthwhile!

Tim Gow said...

Davidcrawford19
I've not used Yamato in a game, but I have played in a FP game where she showed up - very nasty. Leave me a not for publication comment with your email address and I will provide enlightenment.