Monday 18 December 2023

Cold War aircraft refurbishment - part 2

While in the 1/300 aircraft repair 'groove', I decided to attend to some of my fleet of helicopters.  

Short lengths of brass rod were drilled into the top of each heli.  Clear discs were cut from OHP transparent sheet.  I achieved the circles by drawing round various sizes of mdf bases with a permanent marker pen.  It's really difficult to cut a circle but I find that it's the ink line which draws the eye.  The centre of each disc is drilled to fit over the brass rod and secured in place using a small dab of PVA.
 
Before and after.  A great improvement.


3 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

The discs work really well. I hadn't thought to leave a coloured line around them, very clever.

Archduke Piccolo said...

I've used the clear plastic for propellers - never thought to use them for helicopter rotors!
I outlined the circles as well. I believe the tips were painted a distinctive colour so they could be seen when spinning. Can't be walking into invisible blenders, eh? Looks 'realistic'.
Cheers,
Ion

Brad DeSantis said...

Great tip on the rotors Tim! They really look great and add the perfect finish to your builds!