Saturday 9 May 2020

Soviet Independent Tank Brigade, 1980s

A bit of a change of scale now - and the first 6mm toys I’ve completed for about 8 years!
Having taken new interest in my NATO Brigade Commander (NBC hereafter) game of late, I’ve been revisiting some drawers full of bits and pieces to see if I could assemble any complete units. There was actually more than I thought so I’m currently focussed on the Cold War units. This means that we have French and West German (remember them?) units coming soon, but for now here is a ‘quick win’ in the shape of an Independent Tank Brigade. These models have actually been painted and part based for some years so I only had to finish off the basing and do some touching in of the paint.
In NBC, most stands represent NATO-style companies so Warpact tank battalions usually merit only two stands. The three tank battalions of the ITB, however, each have five 10-tank companies so I’ve represented them by three stands each. Other Brigade assets are companies of AA, engineers, recce and HQ.  The tanks are T-80U by GHQ, with other models by Heroics & Ros, Scotia, and ISM. The stands are 30x40mm cut from artists mounting board. The little squares  in the rear of the bases are bits of magnetic strip to allow the attachment of strength point markers if the toys are used in my Megablitz game.






14 comments:

Bluewillow said...

Excellent stuff

Martin Rapier said...

Yes, it was nice to dust off NBC again. I trip to WW3 would certainly be interesting.

Duc de Gobin said...

Superb. I have multiple Cold War forces based for Spearhead which would suit NBC eminently.
Are you intent upon publication, or re-issue of pdf?

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Tim- I have a friend who games COLD WAR in 20mm and he is thinking of downsizing to 15mm. Your 6mm looks to be an ideal great solution- especially when representing Tank formations such as Regiments. Cheers. KEV.

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

The Church Of The One True Scale welcomes you back brother !

Tim Gow said...

Bluewillow
Thanks

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
Start practicing jet noises now - 1985 here we come!

Tim Gow said...

Duc de Gobin
Playing NBC again has shown up a few areas which need clarification. I’ll probably post the basics as a pdf soon.

Tim Gow said...

Kev Robertson
One of the design criteria for NBC was that a Brigade-level game could fit on my 6x3ish foot table. It does....

Tim Gow said...

Wg Cdr Luddite
It was certainly interesting painting the little sods after so long.

Ed Griffiths said...

Looks good!

If you are missing out on actual battle fighting during the current madness I can recommend the PC game 'Flashpoint campaigns: Red Storm' for soviet/Nato battles... unique mechanism where you give detailed orders and watch them unfold... realistic formations, tactics.

Tim Gow said...

Ed Griffiths
We’ve managed a game using Skype every week during lockdown - with the next three weeks booked in too! I’ve never warmed to computer games.

Pete. said...

Those look really nice- very posh having GHQ stuff too.

Cheers,

Pete.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
I’ve had all of this stuff for 20+ years so the cost - even of the ‘posh’ GHQ models - is long forgotten.