Tuesday 20 January 2015

Bother at the bridge - part 1

This was another Little Cold Wars playtest game.  I particularly wanted to try out certain previously unused mechanisms - and use some new and recently completed toys!
The briefings and map for this game can be found at the Little Cold Wars Yahoo Group - link.
It's 1979 and WW3 is gathering pace.  A small French force* is guarding a bridge waaaaaay behind the lines.  What could go wrong?

*or should that be a French farce?  You be the judge.
Well this could.  A gaggle of Warpact helis - specifically a  Mi-1 gunship, Mi-2 artillery spotter and Mi-4 and Mi-8 (the latter a Mi-17 actually but who's counting?) carrying the first wave of my newly finished Air Assault Battalion.  Merde.
Luckily the Frenchies have a 20mm AA battery.  And - more ominously - an ambulance...
The mighty Mi-1 'Hare' gunship.  Scary eh?
Both the Hare and this Hip were pre-built models.  Nice though.

15 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

I shall have to overcome a lifetime of habit and inclination and cheer on the French.

What is the world coming to?

Archduke Piccolo said...

You cheer for the french, conrad, and I'll cheer for the Russians. Keep things balanced, don'tcha know. but seriously, this looks like an interesting, and unusual, action already...

Tim Gow said...

Conrad Kinch
The Forbodian Special Police have noted the fact......

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
How nice to have fragmented my audience already!

Chris said...

So what rules are you testing? Or is that top secret?

Pete. said...

Great looking game, like the French AA gun- what is it provenance?

Cheers,

Pete.

Paul Foster said...

More please! You had me as soon as I saw the choppers.

Martin Rapier said...

"More please! You had me as soon as I saw the choppers."

Ah, everyone loves an airborne assault, although in my parallel 1981 WW3 campaign I think NATO are getting a bit sick of air assault battalions and even entire brigades appearing in almost every single battle so far...

Tim Gow said...

Chris
The ruleset is 'Little Cold Wars' - which we are hoping to see in print later this year.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
The AA gun was mounted on a 1/38 scale Chinese lorry until I and my blunt knife intervened.

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster
Everyone loves big toys.

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
Having put quite a bit of work into my Air Assault Btl I think we can be sure this won't be it's only appearance....

Pete. said...

Blunt knife and brute force- my level of modelling....

Cheers,

Pete.

Chris said...

My bad! I meant, which aspect of your "Little Cold War" rules are you testing?

Tim Gow said...

Chris
Ah- my mistake. Principally the helicopter and AA gunnery bits.