Sunday 2 April 2023

Another WW2 experiment

Recently I was inspired by https://wargamingwith54mmtoysoldiers.blogspot.com/ to look again at WW2 games. Having considered adapting stuff from Don Featherstone/Lionel Tarr, I remembered some ideas I’d written up and play tested https://megablitzandmore.blogspot.com/2019/11/even-more-ww2-playtesting.html and revisited them this morning. Having made some changes I roped in Russell (on Zoom) to command the Sovs and roll the dice. In broad terms we had a Soviet rifle battalion attacking a village held by two weak German companies. Above - the Soviet AT rifle platoon reaches the road block. 
 
The field of battle.  And a mug of tea.  

The German forces - they were all hidden at the start. 
The Sovs. Loads of ‘em. 
The Sovs entered with a rifle company on either flank and the HQ, MG and ATR platoons in the centre. 
The one dead German they found -  a victim of astonishingly accurate mortar fire. 
The HQ leading from (near) the front. 
One of the rifle companies was largely mown down by Germans in the church. 

A successful test which took well under two hours including chatting. I think this game has potential - I need to not leave it another three years before the next game….


10 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

I do like the look of your game. I’ve been thinking of 54mm ww2 gaming recently and thought of using the rules from “War Games” by Featherstone . I do hope you tweak your rules and have another game soon…

Pete. said...

Looks really good Tim.

Cheers,

Pete.

Brad DeSantis said...

You're right Tim, Michael's blog is a very inspiring site! And your site is as well! You both create some very awesome battles to enjoy!

MGB said...

Tim, just admiring the wide variety of figures/makes you used in this game. (Also, thanks for the mention.)
Michael

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
Thanks Alan. Expect more news on this in the coming weeks.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
The 'look' of the thing is very much what I was going for.

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
Thanks - glad we keep you entertained.

Tim Gow said...

MGB
Mostly newer (and relatively expensive!) figures this time.

Martin Rapier said...

I enjoyed your previous 54mm WW2 experiments so I'm looking forward to trying this one out. There is something about six figure companies, reminds me of the units in Charles Grants 'Battle'. Or Rapid Fire! (ducks)

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
I think RF companies are mostly 8 figures - so my game is 25% cheaper!