Monday 3 September 2012

Assessing amassed Assyrians


My recent Tigranocerta game required a number of 'Armenian' infantry units, so not having such things I decided to give my Assyrians an outing.  These chaps were part of the batch rescued from JR's attic last year and after much repair, refurbishing and rebasing this was their first action under my ownership. 
I was delighted to acquire these chaps as I remember fondly the Hinchliffe Assyrian range from the 1970s.  The fact that I can (in the fullness of time...) add to the infantry with nicely cheap HAT cavalry and chariots just adds to their appeal. 
Above are the three stands of heavy spearmen.  All big lads and raring to go.
These cavalry troopers came in a batch of other stuff from eBay.  Only one had been finished so I repaired him and painted the others to more or less match him.
I'm not even sure if these slingers are Assyrians.  But they are now.
There were a lot of archers, so I based these chaps as half and half bowmen and shield bearers.
And last but not least the archers themselves.
I confess to knowing relatively little about the history of Assyrian campaigns.  Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?

8 comments:

Paul said...

The good book perhaps?

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I'll resist the temptation to open a theological debate...

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

The WRG book on the Armies of the Ancient Near East might help but it is hard to come by and will cost a Pharoah amount of money to acquire.

All the best,

DC

Tim Gow said...

David Crook
It is rather pricey. Time it was reprinted!

Conrad Kinch said...

Hello, am I speaking to Mr Gow of the Assyrian Anti- Defamation League?

Tim Gow said...

Conrad Kinch
I take it you're not a fan?

David Cooke said...

Also WRGs "Armies and enemies of Egypt and Assyria" I've owned this book since the seventies and still cherish it.
(Strange that me and Mr Crooks names look so similar and so do our suggestions.)

Tim Gow said...

David Cooke
You and Mr Crook may be different people - but you recommend the same book! I shall look out for a copy.