Saturday 20 January 2024

Not Quite Lego. ‘Cobi’ German field kitchen



I’ve seen a few of these and similar construction sets in recent years but they held no appeal, being odd scales and expensive.  Also, as a man of a certain age I view any construction brick sets except 1970s Lego with disdain!

Fast forward to last October and in a shop in Bastogne I was browsing a display of such sets, marvelling at how accurate some of them looked. I was intrigued to find scales on the boxes, especially as some were 1/35.  Eventually I decided to speculate €14 on this as a classy souvenir of my trip - and because as we all know, horse drawn field kitchens are for winners!


The completed model. Despairing 54mm German officer present for scale and to add tone.

The set includes what looks like an enormous croissant. The cook looks pretty dodgy though!  

9 comments:

John Y said...

Excellent! I love that chef, although that large croissant is suspect, given the absence of the horse in that last photo. Perhaps it's a horse hand pie?

It was the Cobi vehicle sets that sparked my interest in doing brick WWII. I don't have any of their sets mind you, but they did spark the interest.

Martin Rapier said...

That is a rather splendid model, even if the figures are a bit cartoony. Funnily enough, I've just ordered a (15mm) field kitchen myself.

MGB said...

Tim, the model looks fine next to the 54mm metal figure. I have been looking at WW2 Soviet and German field kitchens. Was surprised how archaic the latter looked, they really were dependent on horse transport and the wheels, etc, still looked very 19th century. By the way, that German marine unit you completed a while back was very good.
Michael

Chris Kemp said...

Enormous croissants. What's not to like?

Regards, Chris.

Tim Gow said...

John Y
It was bought in Belgium, so horse on the menu is a distinct possibility!

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
The figure isn't great - but the rest of it will fir in well.

Tim Gow said...

MGB
Given that us wargamers can't get through a day long game without a lunch break, it would be unreasonable to expect any more of our toy soldiers!

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
Quite right - oversized bakery products are welcome in this theatre of operations.

Fred said...

The chef definitely looks like a refugee from a Thunderbirds episode with enormous head and appropriate headgear.