Monday 8 June 2020

The sweet Shmel of success? 2P26

This 2P26 Shmel - that’s a GAZ-69 with Sagger AT missiles - began life as a 1/43 scale fire tender, as seen in this earlier post. Feeling that my Warpact anti-tank forces needed some (but clearly not much) help, I set to work.

Having ‘cut and shut’ the plastic tilt, I built up the missile mount from scrap plastic. The rails were adapted from the rocket rails left over from a Matchbox Swordfish kit. The missiles are cut-down Sparrow missiles.
 A couple of bits of sprue were used to make the folded down frame which on the real one supports a canvas cover.


13 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

World class bodging Tim. Very nice job.

Russell Phillips said...

Very nice. I have a fondness for the 2P26 and other early ATGM systems. One of these days I'll build myself some early Cold War armies.

John Armatys said...

An inspired piece of bodging. There is a risk that at some point people might start to think of you as a proper modeller....

Peter Douglas said...

Great hodge work Tim, Shmels great.

Rob Young said...

Nice conversion.

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
Thanks. I console myself with the belief that it doesn’t look any worse than the real thing!

Tim Gow said...

Russell Phillips
It’s almost irresistibly awful!

Tim Gow said...

John Armatys
Lucky you know the sorry truth, eh?

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
Shmels pretty dodgy to me.

Tim Gow said...

Rob Young
Conversion? You insult the noble art of bodging sir!

Bluewillow said...

Really like that, well played that man!

cheers
matt

Pete. said...

Very nice Tim.

Should add a bit of fire support for the Red Army.

Cheers,

Pete.

Archduke Piccolo said...

A very well executed and useful scratch-build.