Wednesday 12 December 2018

Basically better Buccaneer build - part 1

As an antidote to the ghastly Canberra I cracked open this elderly Matchbox Buccaneer, expecting it to be a rather higher quality kit.
I wasn't disappointed - the crisp moulding and fine parts fit was every bit as good as I remember from the late 1970s.  Not that I could ever afford this kit back then!  I never quite understood Matchbox's 'innovation' of moulding their kits in 2-3 colours but paint will cover the ensemble anyway.
Speaking of paint, that's next on the agenda.

4 comments:

Pete. said...

Nice- I always liked the Matchbox kits, preferedthem to Airfix really.

Cheers,

Pete.

JLee118 said...

The multi-colored parts were so that the model wouldn't look all one color when done. Basically they to step from their toy car line, saying the models didn't need paint. While to an adult they would look like mesh-mash crap, to many kids it was passable. Can't wait to see what it looks like. BTW how'd that Canberra come out?

Tim Gow said...

Pete
I certainly can’t think of a matchbox aircraft kit which was a duffer.

Tim Gow said...

JLee118
I remember the advertising when the MB kits were launched. Even as a kid the multi-colour thing never worked for me.