Sunday 3 February 2013

Shocking Spitfire - part 1


While waiting for the latest poll to close (the Lancaster scored a narrow victory) I began work on the Airfix Mk.IX Spitfire.  This was in quite a bad way - not just in terms of its dodgy paintwork but a large and mysterious hole in the top of the engine cowling.  Filler was duly applied to the latter (above) seen here after being sanded down.  
More filler cured the landing gear issues but nothing could be done about the underwing air intakes which had been glued on (very securely) the wrong way round.
Paintwork coming soon....

4 comments:

Milgeek said...

Ah now, I see, that's the putty technique for landing gear that Wing Commander mentioned I should have used on my Me 109! Yes, a lot easier.

Look forward to seeing what you do next. :)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

You know I may have to keep my eye out for a Mk XI after collecting a few earlier models (Mk II, MkVb)

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Beat
A tube of filler and a sharp knife - the modeller's best friends!

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
It's a very old kit and frankly looks it. Not a patch on the Frog Spittie I built recently. You've been warned!