Saturday 23 February 2013

Ein Volk, Ein Wagen

My stepson Louis recently went on a school trip to Berlin.  Apparently this was a great success - highlights included a visit to the Olympic stadium and a taxi driver who did impressions of the Fuhrer (including salutes) while driving.  Souvenir shopping time was limited but he managed to find me this rather lovely 1/87 scale Volkswagen.  Although this has the later large rear window it may well turn up as an officer's ride in one of my WW2 units.
Incidentally, 'Kafer' is German for Beetle....

10 comments:

Giano said...

Nice present!
I too use a Beetle as an officer's car for my late germans.

Berlin is a great place for a trip, I had good fun there, but alas I missed these souvenirs. One more reason to make another trip!

Paul said...

Must get a beetle! Kafer means something entirely different in the southern colonies Tim.

Brigadier Dundas said...

Could you mask the rear window and cut in an oval split-window?

Steven Page said...

Get radical, Tim. Make it a wood-gas burner!
-Steve

Tim Gow said...

Giano
I've not been there but it's on the list.

Tim Gow said...

Paul
Trust you rough colonial types to lower the tone!

Tim Gow said...

Brigadier Dundas
I could. But I can't see it happening!

Tim Gow said...

Steven Page
If it wasn't such a nice model I'd be tempted to mess with it. As it stands a bit of weathering will probably suffice.

Martin Rapier said...

What a beautiful model. Of course with its black & red colour scheme it would be very happy in the hands of an anarchist militia unit in the SCW...

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
There's a thought! I', not sure when the first VWs would have arrived in Spain - probably a few years after WW2.