Sunday 5 May 2013

Messy Moskito - part 1


This Ta-154 was a cheap (under £3) kit I picked up at the 2011 IPMS show.  Given the low price and my previous experience of PM kits (see also Yak-15 and Su-15F), expectations were not very high.  Like its rather better known namesake the 'Moskito' was built largely from wood. I only hope the parts fit on the real ones was better....
Ultimately only around 50 were built, the type losing out to the more successful He-219.
The fit of the parts wasn't great, requiring plenty of filling and sanding, but the overall effect was tolerable in a wargames model.  I decided not to bother with the nose-mounted 'toasting fork' radar ariels as not only were the parts spectacularly badly moulded, but I felt that they'd be too fragile for game use.


6 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

A plane I simply had never heard of ... but it looks a cool project

Planning on anything "naval" in the near future?

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
I always (understandably!) got the Ta154 and He219 mixed up. At least this build has made me do a bit of research.
There may indeed be a naval action soon.....

Al said...

Cool, never seen one of these before

Paul said...

A good interesting build that tests the skill and the mind cannot be a bad thing...Oh wait, what was I thinking.

I think it had the same problem as the Australian Avro Ansons, plywood delamination, which is a nasty thing when you epend on wings and structure and so forth.

Nice choice.

Tim Gow said...

Al
You know me - bringing enlightenment to the masses...

Tim Gow said...

Paul
No danger of delamination on the plastic version -there's too much glue and filler holding it together!