Thursday 11 April 2013

Empire of the Clouds

I have just finished reading this book and feel a strong need to recommend it.  In brief it recounts the story around some of Britain's postwar aircraft (military and civil), the companies which built them, the test pilots who flew them and in some cases, the governments which cancelled them.

It is written in such an engaging style that even a reader with only a passing interest in aviation will be gripped, while for those of us with a (slightly) better than average knowledge of the subject will be confronted with plenty of''new' information.

My copy was a classic impulse buy the last time I was in London - at £2 I felt I really couldn't go wrong.  I didn't.

2 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Tim,

I agree with everything that you have written about this book. It is well-written in an easy to read style, and it is very informative about the numerous projects undertaken by the British aircraft industry in the post-war period.

All the best,

Bob

Pete. said...

Considered a classic account round these parts. I was lucky enough to see a lot of the aircraft mentioned at air shows in the 80s... surprised you'd not read it earlier to be honest.

Cheers,

Pete.