Sunday 21 April 2013

Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero

This pair of SM.79s are Japanese pre-painted 'Gashapon' kits.  Like the other such kits in my collection I completely dismantled them and then assembled the cleaned up parts before finishing off the decals.
A familiar shape which simply shouts "1930s", the 'Sparviero' (Italian for Sparrowhawk) flew in Italian service from 1936 until 1952.


The Sparviero served mostly as a torpedo bomber and both these models are so armed.  I suspect that in Megablitz games, however, they'll mostly be used for conventional bombing.

16 comments:

Chris Kemp said...

Lovely kits!

Paul said...

Now I feel like pizza. Its not very often I say this to a bloke, but nice pair Tim.

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
Thanks Chris - somehow I knew you'd like 'em!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I know, it's these tight trousers. Oh, you meant the 'planes....

AlFront said...

Rather nice little reproductions - certainly captured the look of the hunchback.

AlFront said...

Tim, I've probably not been paying attention, but where do you get these Gashapon kits from ?

Tim Gow said...

AlFront
It's a very distinctive shape.

Stephen Thomas said...

Very nice kits and nicely done. My favourite photos so far in all the aircraft postings of late.

The Dancing Cake Tin said...

Torpedoes AWAY! Smashing stuff!

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

Wizard kites !

Those Itie chappies certainly have style.

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Thomas
...and the ones I didn't paint. Coincidence? I don't think so!

Tim Gow said...

Dancing Cake Tin
I say, steady on old chap, or else I'll feel obliged to field them as torpedo bombers at lead once...

Tim Gow said...

Wg Cdr Luddite
And as we all know, style matters!

Stephen Thomas said...

Ah !!!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

What can I say other than I naturally want one ;)

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
Who wouldn't?