Sunday 13 February 2011

Greek Infantry Brigade - part 2

I have now finished the Greek Brigade, and offer the (hastily posed) photos below.
Close-up of an M-48A5. I had put off painting these guys for ages due to the camo pattern, but I'm glad I finally got round to it.  All Greek AFVs have a stylised flag (white cross on blue field) painted on either side of the turret.
For those of you with an interest in painting Greek armour, I would recommend the following websites:
http://greekmilitary.net/greekmbtanks.htm (you need to scroll down quite a bit to get to the M-48s)
http://www.microarmormayhem.com/Units_Greek.html
The three rifle companies of the first Infantry Battalion.  I used WW2 US infantry by GHQ. The Dodge 1.5t trucks by CinC.
The rest of the above battalion - Weapons Co and AT Co. 
For the other Infantry Battalion I used the open version of the CinC Dodge with seated troops from GHQ.
The Brigade HQ and AA Battery - all GHQ toys.
The Artillery Battalion - 105mm guns and Dodge 1.5 tonners by GHQ. 
The attached Tank Battalion - M-48A5 and M-8 by GHQ.
A close-up of the M-8.  This functions as the Tank Battalion's Recce Troop.  Painting the flags on this was rather tricky!

10 comments:

Don M said...

Looks like my cold war collection
everything from M47s to M1s....)

Paul said...

You can never get enough of the MERDEC schemes! The M48 is a true warrior as well. Nice balance of forces.

Tim Gow said...

Don
I'm sure I can find you some photos of my (Pakistani) M-47s...

Tim Gow said...

Paul
You can't really go wrong with an M-48. The MERDC schemes are a swine to paint well, but I just go for a vague representation. By the way, that's 11 Greek trucks plus two in the Sov Brigade towards the 'Truck Month' total.

Don M said...

The MERDC schemes are a swine to paint well,


LOL Try doing it on a real one!
They come to you all nice and Forest Green...they hand you this FM with line drawings of the pattern and a piece of Chalk...and you have at it...then you get to do a giant paint by numbers! After your first 20 the models are a breeze ! In fact I no longer need the book! LOL

Tim Gow said...

Don
Thanks for the tip but I don't think the chalk would work on 6mm toys! I just aim to get roughly the correct colours in roughly the right proportions and hope for the best. With a lot of weathering it seems to work OK.

Bill said...

LOL, I'm with you on the chalk out lines! Although I've seen Don paint
M1's and M60s by eye ball and getting the pattern spot on! I suspect it's due to the large numbers he owns!

Tim Gow said...

Bill
Are you suggesting that Don doesn't get out much?

Bill said...

Well there is that court order...lol, just kiding but, I think he has something like 70 M-1 and Bradleys , and a similar number of M60s and M113s!

Don M said...

I have to get out..and resupply on paint etc...)