Saturday 19 February 2011

6mm Modern Japanese - part 1 - infantry vehicles

Following on from the report of the game set during a fictional invasion of Japan in the '80s, I dug out my Japanese forces and had some of them pose for the camera. 
Inspired by one of the crazy impulses we wargamers suffer from I bought a load of Japanese models from Scotia (http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_23&zenid=99f8b374eee83f139fa379bb89920765) a few years ago and surprisingly, painted tham all within a short period of time.  A few words about Scotia for those of you unfamiliar with the make.  While the detail of their models generally falls some way short of GHQ or CinC, they are far cheaper, and in terms of both quality and price are on a par with Heroics & Ros.  The reason that I have so many Scotia models is that their range includes many models unavailable elsewhere.  As well as the Japanese, most of my South Africans are from Scotia, together with significant portions of my Arabs, Russians (especially engineering kit) and Gulf 1 UK & US troops.
An Infantry Company equipped with Type 73 APC (Produced from 1974).  The infantry are all Heroics & Ros.
All four Infantry Companies of the battalion.  I know that the Flags are overscale, but I felt they added a certain something.
The Heavy Weapons and AT Companies - SU 60 APC (produced 1959-early 1970s) and  Type 60 106mm SP Recoilless Gun.
A special photo for Don M - a close up of the Type 60.
Type 82 Command & Recce APCs.  I have a full battalion kitted out with these.
Next time - tanks and armoured cars.

14 comments:

Beccas said...

Excellent. I have always been tempted by Scotia's modern Chinese.

Paul´s Bods said...

Amazing production rate you have....and the patience to paint 6mm
Cheers
Paul

Tim Gow said...

Beccas
I do have some of their Chinese stuff - as yet unpainted - but I've only had it for about 12 years...

Tim Gow said...

Paul
These guys were painted some years ago - my production rate is much less impressive then you might think (see comment above!) As for patience - I just lack the talent to paint much else!

Don M said...

Thanks for the special photo of the Type 60.....Have to admit that the two times I trained with JGDF I was sorry that I never saw that huge electric cannon from the Godzilla
movies...)

Al said...

Quite different, have always been put off 6mm by the painting

Tim Gow said...

Don
Glad you enjoyed the Type 60. Sorry there's no electric cannon - I didn't notice one on the price list when I ordered this stuff! I suppose if I wanted the Godzilla effect I could set loose one of the chickens on the wargames table...

Tim Gow said...

Al
I find that 6mm (20th Century kit at least) is pretty damn easy to paint. Give it a try - you might surprise yourself.

Don M said...

This came back up due to my friend Vulture who lives in CAMBS, United Kingdom BTW,he put up an interesting link about a WWII German vehicle of similar type:
Panzerjäger Borgward B IVc Ausf m RPzB 54 :
http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/panzerjager-borgward-b-ivc-ausf-m-rpzb.html

There really should be a Megablitz equivalent ...hint, hint!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
I do (of course!) have a B IV in 20mm scale but since I only bought it about 15 years ago it hasn't been painted yet....

Don M said...

Let us hope it this inspires some activity on that front....)

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Hi Tim,

Which figures do you use to represent Japanese modern troops?

Cheers

Richard

Tim Gow said...

cardoplillipo
The infantry are (quite old) Heroics & Ros US chaps.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Thanks Tim