Wednesday 23 August 2017

Austrian Jager - part 1

While there has been an explosion of new sets and ranges in 54mm plastics over the past decade,  there are still a lot of things you can't get.  I see this as a benefit as it encourages a bit of creativity, to the point where I look at a set of figures and think "what else could they be?"
I picked up two boxes of these Brunswick Avant Garde chaps in time for the Waterloo game in 2015 (they were cheap) and painted a set up as God and HAT intended.  They can be seen here defending Hougoumont.  The headgear put me in mind of something else though, so with next month's Leipzig game in mind I rifled through the appropriate Funcken volumes and discovered that a not wholly dissimilar hat was worn by Austrian Landwehr and Jagers.  Here at Megablitz Towers, 'not wholly dissimilar' can be read as 'pretty much identical', so a plan was made.  The Brunswickers would masquerade as Landwehr while the second box would be bodged into Jager.
Step one.  The hats were a bit high, so were cut down with a suitable sharp knife.  I took this opportunity to shave off the hat insignia too.

Trust me, the blokes on the right look a lot more like Austrian Jager than Brunswickers.

2 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

Years ago I bought a job lot of 'Warrior' Austrians. Not really a match for my Minifigs, but they had these advantages: they were cute figures; they were Austrian. I needed to build up my Austrian army.

Among the figures were several jagers. I already had plenty of Austrian jagers. Guess where they fetched up? Yep: Brunswickers...

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
And thus was balance restored to the universe!