Monday 5 August 2013

5 Panzer Division

5PD is one of my longer-serving Panzer Divisions, and is a veteran of many engagements - hence the rather battered appearance of some of the models!  Most of the models were built in the summer of 1995.
Above is a Matchbox Panzer IIIM - the skirt armour is from an Esci kit, suitably cut to size.
 Like all of my Megablitz divisions 5PD lives in it's own labelled box file.
 The full division in parade order.
 Div HQ and staff - and Esci Panzer III and Roco Unimog - the latter is 'postwar but plausible.'
 While 1941+ PDs tended only to have 2 Panzer battalions, three 
are available so I can use 5PD from 1943 to 1945.
 The two PanzerGrenadier Regts travel in a variety of trucks and halftracks.
Several variants of Esci's Sdkfz251 are in evidence, including the 
251/16 engineer track and the 251/17 with a 20mm AA gun.
The Aufklarungs Abt. (Recce battalion) with a Pz IIL 'Luchs' and another couple of conversions
 - a Sdkfz 251/9 and Sdkfz 234/1
The Artillery Regt has an Esci Wespe and a 'defrocked' version serving as an ammo carrier.
The transport column.  I bodged up these Roco Faun lorries using Airfix
 track units to loosely resemble the Mercedes L4500R halftrack.


 
To create the Sdkfz 234/1 I used a Matchbox 234/2 'Puma' hull and the turret from an 
Airfix Sdkfz 222. It's not accurate but it gives the right impression.
The Luchs is a metal (RAFM I think) kit.  Despite being a light 
tank it is by far the heaviest model in the division!
Finally, the PzJag Abt uses this splendid Fujimi Stug III, 
complete with improvised additional frontal armour.

Let me know if you'd like a closer look at any of these toys - and which division you'd like to see next!

13 comments:

Don M said...

Very nice Tim, I believe I've seen a few of these lads in other shots of yours. Nice to see them all drawn up.

Milgeek said...

Splendid collection. Puts my pitifully stagnant attempt at putting a Finnish army together to shame!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
More than likey Don - they do get around....

Tim Gow said...

Stephen Beat
Bear in mind that you are building individual models to a very high standard while I churned out 5PD and another 2 divisions in a fairly short time for a specific game. It's the only way I get anything done!

peter said...

Great Division! Lovely work!

Greetings
Peter

Tim Gow said...

Peter
Thanks - it remains one of my favourites.

Archduke Piccolo said...

Looks great - I am supposing that all that equipment is designed such that the 5th Pz Div can appear any time from 1941 - perhaps earlier - through to 1945? A fine formation!

Don M said...

Next I'd like to see some horse cavalry units, German and Russian...)

Tim Gow said...

Archduke Piccolo
Given the Dunkel Gelb colour scheme, this is very much a 1943+ division. Don't worry though - I've plenty of others....

Tim Gow said...

Don M
I'll see what I can do....

Paul said...

Sweet assortment here Tim. Of course the highlights are the Roco bodgetracks.

Its a ripper of a post!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
What's not obvious from the photos is that the Opel Blitz lorries are actually Maultier halftrack conversions too....

Al said...

Great variety of kit Tim, certainly still looks the biz