Monday 25 March 2019

WW2 Soviet AT team - part 1

While painting the recent batch of North Koreans - which could equally well serve as WW2 Soviets - my thoughts turned to the battalion support weapons.  While soft plastic infantry Russian figures armed with rifles, SMG and even LMG are easy to come by, heavier weapons are in short supply.  A quick internet search turned up this useful looking set from Tamiya which contains not only an AT rifle but also a wheeled Maxim gun.  

As is usually the case with Tamiya kits, the instructions are clear and the mouldings crisp.
In little over 40 minutes I had assembled all five figures, along with the Maxim and two AT rifles (the latter just off-camera).

The Comrades are now bracing themselves for an assault from - not the Germans, Americans or even the Japanese - but my paintbrush!  Such is the horror of war.

7 comments:

John Y said...

That Tamiya kit looks good. I'll have to pick up one up.

If you find yourself in need of more heavy weapons for the great patriots of Mother Russia, another option for the AT rifle (as well as a mortar of sorts) is the Supreme? WW2 Soviet set (https://smile.amazon.com/Russian-Infantry-Figure-Playset-Weapons/dp/B079VFJGCZ/ They are Italeri winter-uniform knock-offs and somewhat generously described as "pre-painted"). For the maxim, Irregular Miniatures does one as well.

Tim Gow said...

John Y
Thanks for the info. I have seen but don't own the Supreme Sovs. I have a load of their Napoleonic figures which are rather nice.
I am aware of the Irregular Maxim but basically too mean to buy one. And I prefer plastic figures!

Rahway said...

On the toy front there are the Cherilea Korean War Chinese.

http://ww2pts.blogspot.com/2012/08/cherilea-figures.html

Ken H said...

Very nice looking Maxim model! You do venture far wide and weird in your wargames thinking, which I very much like I must say!!

Tim Gow said...

Rahway
I've never come across the Cherilea Chinese at a reasonable price, but you never know...

Tim Gow said...

Ken H
Is that a nice way of saying I have no ability to resist? You could be right....

Archduke Piccolo said...

Although I've picked up a few PTRD and PTRS AT rifles (metal and plastic) since, many years ago I bodged several to fill the gap, using a pin shoved into the shoulder of a prone figure and (first removing the rifle) and gluing (with difficulty!) short pieces of metal for a bipod (this being 1:76 scale). These days, I'd probably cut the corner off a staple and glue that to a stand, before attaching the ATR man and his weapon. For PTRS's I used a small piece of card by way of a magazine.