Monday 21 November 2016

Dustoff

Sorry - not a CASEVAC helicopter in sight.
The post title relates to the main job carried out during the refurb of these wobbly-winged wonders which were part of the Partizan plane purchase.
I actually dealt with these first as their numbers were less intimidating than those of the WW2 and Cold War models.
A lot of dust and some plastic.  This ancient SE5a may be the Revell kit.  Under the dust is was actually in pretty good shape with only some decals requiring replacement.
Less dust and less plastic.  This Nieuport 17 is again I believe a Revell kit.  The roundels were all but gone so I carefully scraped off the remains and added a set from the decal box.  I also took the opportunity to paint the tail stripes.
More dust and more plastic.  This Bristol Fighter is probably an Airfix offering.  Like the SE5a it had survived quite well, give or take the odd roundel.
The aircraft park taking shape.  But hang on - what are those big piles of dust and broken plastic at the back?
None other than (dramatic drum roll please...) in descending order of vastness  - and ascending order of completeness - an HP 0/400 (Airfix) and a Vickers Vimy (FROG).  An entire tube of glue disappeared in the securing of many, many struts.  I would never have been fool (or rich) enough to buy either of these kits so I feel very fortunate to get these vaguely serviceable versions so cheaply.
To see what fun the 0/400 is to build have a look at Al's version here.

12 comments:

Pete. said...

Some nice kits there Tim- is a WW1 bomber game on the cards then?

Cheers,

Pete.

Martin Rapier said...

My goodness what monstrosities. I may have had the Airfix Sunderland, but I never had one of those.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
Rule nothing out...

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
I don't think they'd have lasted long if we'd had them as kids. I'm very glad I didn't have to build the damn things.

Unknown said...

For any of these to have survived your journey home you must have driven very carefully, Police outriders ? Fragile load signs ? The reaction of your family ? Choice of music on the journey. The models are smashing, something much more majestic than a mere haul. Lovely stuff

Tim Gow said...

Chris Platt
As I recall it was quite a brisk journey, despite it being the outriders' day off...

Ken H said...

Hi Tim, yet more lovely nostalgia, excellent! A quick question, how do you remove the dust without drenching the kits in water, or is that what you do? Keep up the good work! Ken

Don M said...

Some very nice Kites under all that dust....an amazing find overall.

Tim Gow said...

Ken H
I just dust them with a big paintbrush. Ideally outside! It doesn't shift all of the dust but I reason that I paid for the dust as well as the plastic, so I might as well keep some of it.

Tim Gow said...

Don M
I think I did release a gasp of astonishment when the vendor opened the box!

Ken H said...

Very balanced outlook Tim! I'm guessing that in between chilly war encounters, you indulge in a bit of zen ! Thanks, I shall dig out my paintbrushes. That said, I'm not venturing outside until April, and even then I will rely upon saving throws if it's too chilly! Thanks again.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Kool!