Tuesday 28 July 2015

M-113 bodging - part 2

Last year I built an experimental M-113 in around 1/48 scale from balsa.  The resulting model looks OK but the build was a little too much like hard work.  It occured to me that, following on from some success with carving bits of AFV from insulation foam, it should be relatively easy to carve the fairly simple shape of an M-113.  I tried using the 1-inch thick foam I already had but this didn't go well as the two parts required to make up the hull was clearly one too many.  Some thicker (2-inch) board was acquired (about £5 for a 2x4 foot sheet) and my knife and I returned to the fray.
The basic hull shapes....
...with the distinctive rear fenders.
It all looks a bit bare...
...but hatches and doors are ready to be added using balsa and mdf.
A balsa track guard before final shaping.

More on this crime against accuracy coming soon.


9 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

More power to your elbow Tim - it just occurred to me, would plaster casting work?

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Your building technique reminds me of the TARDIS from Dr Who.

If you look closely at the TARDIS on BBC TV you can see that it is made of plywood painted blue. The grain of the wood is distinctive.

Now, I know in real life that a UK Police box is made of cast iron. I know because I've been in one more than once. (No, I'm not a bobby or a criminal).

But then again it's only a model.

Tim Gow said...

Conrad Kinch
It might - indeed Russell King has made a pair of rather impressive M-113s from clay.

Tim Gow said...

Stu Rat
That is indeed a consideration.

Tim Gow said...

Jim Duncan
My tip to the BBC would be to apply a further two coats of floor varnish...

Paul Foster said...

Excellent! Why insulate the lodging when battle taxi's came be produced.

The armour is about the quality as well. Nice thinking.

Don M said...

I'm with Paul on this one! They look quite convincing!

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster
Thanks. I have a load of the 1-inch board which until I use it I'm storing in......the attic!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
And that's before I lower the tone by painting them!