Tuesday 24 January 2012

Muji 'Port' set

When I was in London last week I noticed on Oxford Street a branch of the Muji shop.  So I went in. For those of you wondering why, it was from their Leeds shop that I picked up a number of useful wooden buildings (as seen here in Greece and Germany ).  These are sold under such names as 'Village in a bag' and 'London in a bag'. 
This time my eye was drawn to the new (to me) 'Port in a bag', the contents of which are shown above.  With thoughts of ever bigger Fletcher Pratt convoy actions in mind I was encouraged to see it contained a pair of container ships which will pass as 1/1200 coasters (no, not the sort you rest your coffee cup on...), three tugs and a liner (which will do as a ferry).  The modern cruise liner is less useful - although I was encouraged to see that during the photo session it remained the right way up....  The set also contains three yachts and two each of warehouse frontages, lighthouses and cranes.  At a marked price of £5 each, I lost no time in scooping up all four bags on the shelf and making my way to the cash desk.  Delight turned to elation when I was charged only £3 each for them!  Sadly there were no more in stock...  I gave one of the bags to Bob Cordery that evening and he agreed that the ships looked pretty useful.  If anyone has a use for the white modern liners I have 3 of them going spare...
The two 'coasters' and a liner with a 1/1200 'K' Class Destroyer for scale. 

8 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Tim

Very nice find, and very serviceable. The yachts would do as sailing coaster for 19th century colonial actions and the tugs as river craft for the same. I'd be tempted to buy a couple of sets and do a Campellton raid on St Naizare.

Peter

west1871 said...

Some conversions could be done with them. Cracking buy Tim.

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
The main requirement for St Nazaire is a load of small motor gun and torpedo boats. I was involved in putting together a St Nazaire game for a show in the early '90s using 1/600 models. I built two versions of Campbelltown - before and after detonation!

Tim Gow said...

West1871
Rude not to at that price!

Peter Douglas said...

Tim

Sounds fun - how about Zeebrugge?

PD

Paul said...

A good buy I think, some Tanker War action from the 80's beckons!

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
As a sailor yourself, you seem to have a worrying degree if interest in crashing ships into things...

Tim Gow said...

Paul
I think any tanker wars will be conducted with my 1/6000 ships.