Saturday 25 December 2010

A history of Airfix HO/OO AFV kits - part 5 - 1963

I confess - I actually typed much of this post some days ago, and I am adding this introduction with the accompaniment of a glass of champagne after being shooed out of the kitchen while Herself cooks another fine Christmas dinner.  I will take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the holiday and the coming year - your blogs and comments have helped to sustain my enthusiasm throughout the year, particularly during the gaps in 'face-to face' wargaming.  A very merry Christmas to old friends and new.

On to business - 1963 saw only a single new release, but possibly one of the most useful.  This splendid little kit contained not only a 25pdr gun, but also it's limber, Quad tractor and a number of crew figures. 
Here is the kit in it's most recent style of packaging.
Originally the 25pdr kit, being a Series 1 offering,  was supplied in a bag.
The kit has stood the test of time quite well, particularly as a wargames model.  Esci (see my earlier post at http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.com/2010/12/7-armoured-division-1944-continued.html) joined the fray in the mid-1970s, and while their 25pdr is more detailed and their Quad much nicer, Esci made us pay for two kits, each more expensive than the old favourite from Airfix.  Hardly surprising then, that the Arifix 25pdr is a much more common sight on the world's wargames tables.
I never much cared for the Airfix crew figures, and many of mine have been replaced by metal crewmen from Dixon Miniatures - as is the case with this regiment from my North African version of 7 Armoured Division.
 A few weeks ago, Paul on Plastic Warriors  (http://plasticwarriors.blogspot.com/2010/11/gun-month-qf-25-pounder-batteries.html) offered us a splendid photo of four 25pdrs (either a battery or four regiments depending on your point of view!).  Never one to be upstaged, I plundered all my British & Commonwealth boxes and offer you the following spectacle as a Christmas treat:

To save your eyes, there are fourteen of them - all Airfix, and all but one with limbers.  And more still to build!
Next time - 1964 with four new kits - any guesses as to what they are?

12 comments:

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

How sad we are. Christmas day lunchtime,you posting on a wargames blog and me and Jerry are reading it !

Have a good one.

Tim Gow said...

Wg Cdr Luddite
Well you said it! Have another drink.
Tim

Paul´s Bods said...

Well I´ll be sad as well:-)
Great little set this one...I ue´sed to have several (note the used to bit:-() That´s one heck of a lot of them you´ve got there Tim...and all well painted..nice one
Merry x-mas...I´m off for a drink :-D
Cheers
Paul

Don M said...

not so sad.....got lots of loot...)
Hope you all have a great Christmas!

Love these Quads and 25lbers Tim,
but then I'm a retired artillery NCO
so I just might be a little biased...)

Tim Gow said...

Paul's Bods
Cheers - have one for me!
Tim

Tim Gow said...

Don M
Happy to be living your dreams - in 20mm.
Tim

Paul said...

Awesome post Tim, and I think you win hands down on the 25 Pdr front.

Nice basing on all these guns and Quads.

Figures like you say are a little boring and uninteresting, so I am glad to see some great looking replacments.

All the best.

Paul

Tim Gow said...

Paul
Glad you enjoyed it - I couldn't resist the 'shock & awe' photo of the grand battery.
Tim

Al said...

Great post, Ubique!

Tim Gow said...

Al
Glad you liked it.
Tim

Bill said...

Very nice indeed Tim! Represents years of building no doubt! Now
you need to do one of all the Shermans or something for us old
takers...)

Tim Gow said...

Bill
I've honestly no idea how many Shermans I have - probably not that many - unless you include Matchbox/Esci/ROCO/Britannia/Frontline models. I'm not sure I can pull of another spectacle like the 25 pdrs! But I'll see what I can do...
Tim