Tuesday 7 September 2021

Fort Fisher re-visited part 1 - Confederate briefing

For our game a couple of weeks ago I revisited one which Bertrand and I played in London back in 2019.  This gave me an opportunity to get out and use several gun emplacements and the like which hadn't previously seen action and also the three ironclads I built in late 2019.  

I put together briefings and on the day, rose early to lay out the fort.  This post will be confined to the CS briefing, the next to the US brief and subsequent posts to the action which ensued.

some guns awaiting targets

 The attack on Fort Fisher – 24 December 1864

Colonel William Lamb, Cmdr, Fort Fisher Garrison

Brigadier General William Kirkland

Forces:

Fort Fisher artillery     1 North Carolina Heavy Artillery

                                    3 North Carolina Light Artillery

All guns have limited ammunition

17 North Carolina Regiment

 Reinforcements – roll 1D6 from turn 10.  On a ‘6’ half of 42 North Carolina Rgt arrives:

  

Orders

Hold the Fort to the last man and gun – Wilmington must be saved!

In the event of serious threat reinforcements will be dispatched from Hoke’s Division.

  

William H C Whiting

Major General William H C Whiting

Cape Fear District Commander

The first blunder of the game was all my own, as I forgot to deploy 17 NC Rgt.  Luckily nobody noticed so it's really the CS players' fault.  There, I think I got away with that.


The fort.  Impressive eh?



10 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Tim,

Looking good!

All the best,

Bob

Peter Douglas said...

Nothing wrong with hidden deployment!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Absolutely! Any Confederate commander not willing to pout and complain isn't worth his salt.

Brad DeSantis said...

A very impressive fort indeed Tim! But will it hold? I can't wait to see!

Pete. said...

Can't believe I missed having the troops- I was too distracted by all the cannons I expect.

Was an excellent game though.

Cheers,

Pete.

Tim Gow said...

Bob Cordery
Funny how these things always look better than they have any right to!

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
More a case of forgotten deployment!

Tim Gow said...

Ross Mac
That's agreed then - we'll blame the players?

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
It's a strong position - what could go wrong?

Tim Gow said...

Pete
Give a man some matchsticks to fire and he forgets everything else!