Monday 4 December 2023

Fort Vaux....sort of

 A few months ago I began working up another 54mm Great War game.  This involved another visit to Verdun - this time a bit further east, near Fort Vaux.  This meant I'd need a fort.  Big forts were very impressive fashionable things for late 19th century governments to build, but they were very expensive.

I opted to avoid the 'impressive' and 'expensive' elements, and indeed accuracy as I instead hacked about a slab of 2-inch insulation board with a bread knife.  Some of the offcuts were used to make the outer banks of defensive ditches.  Observation cupolas and a gun turret were added from mdf and the ensemble daubed with emulsion paint. It's pretty ghastly but I think it gets the point across.




Our other Verdun adventures include the left bank, Douamont and of course the real thing!


15 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Looks great! Surely this is Fort Faux?

John Y said...

Looks like a right proper fort to me!

Also, using a bread knife is genius. We have one which we never use (as members of the less cultured class, we buy our bread pre-sliced) - loos like I need to pick up some insulation board!

French Follower said...

This fort is named "FORT DE VAUX". That's not very important but I'm sure you prefer use the right name. It's in vicinity of the village "Vaux-devant-Damloup".
Rised in 1915 june the 9th, The first great victory of my former regiment RICM was to reconquier the "FORT DE DOUAUMONT" october the 24th 1916.

Good luck for your interessant project.
I'll follow you. Have a good day

LCL (H) Lechevalier

tradgardmastare said...

Works for me!
To boldly vaux…

Martin Rapier said...

Well, it looked the part and was very scary to attack in the game. I'm glad I gave that job to Graham!

Nigel Drury said...

I hope the defenders have a figure ready to release le Vaillant.

Brad DeSantis said...

I think it fits the bill quite well Tim, very nice job!

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
I wish I'd though of that!

Tim Gow said...

John Y
Genius? Your standards must be even lower then mine!

Tim Gow said...

French Follower
Quite correct - though I'm not sure the name is the biggest departure from accuracy! I hope you enjoy the forthcoming game report.

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
another one with the puns!

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
I did notice you giving him the toughest sector!

Tim Gow said...

Nigel Drury
Cdt Raynal did indeed release carrier pigeons during the game!

Tim Gow said...

Brad De Santis
Many thanks!

Nigel Drury said...

Glad to hear it.