Wednesday 22 September 2021

Fort Fisher - recommended reading

After the game we discussed books.  I had been brandishing and quoting from the Fonvielle book during the game and I don't hesitate to recommend it.  It contains a lot of research, period quotes and photos and some fabulous maps.  Despite it's weighty content it remains an engaging read.

This was my main reference for the game...
...and part of it's excellent map of the fort.

Pete mentioned a couple of books he has on ACW combined ops and sent me this photo:

A couple of the players asked if I could recommend a single-volume history of the ACW.  There are several well-know such books but this is one I picked up a few years ago - it's a very good read.


And of course I took the opportunity to mention the splendid and lavishly illustrated Golden Book:


I first saw this mentioned only a couple for years ago on Mannie Gentile's blog - click here to read his post on the book.


2 comments:

Brad DeSantis said...

"The Golden Book of the Civil War" was my birthday present when I turned 8. It was full of pictures like the one you chose depicting many of the battles of the ACW. I used to take my Marx Civil War figures and set them up as close as I could come to those pictures! It was great fun! Thanks for the memory Tim!

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
It must have been an inspirational book for a child - I came to it late but I'm glad I own a copy at last!