Saturday 3 August 2019

M-113 bodging - part 4

During outdoor games there are few things more embarrassing than one's armoured vehicles being swept away by the breeze.  To give the models a bit of 'heft' I add some weight.  Cut a hole in the bottom of the foam, press in the weight and secure in place with a dollop of PVA. I have in the past used scrap metal figures but for this batch each model was treated to two 0.05 Euro coins.  We generally return from holiday with a fair few small coins or 'shrapnel', so this seems a good use for them.
Once the PVA dries, get on with painting.  These US M-113s have had two coats of olive green.  I generally add the 'detail' with paint pens - grilles, vision slits, headlights.  A couple of coats of  Ronseal clear satin completes the thing.
And er, that's it.  I hope this little series might inspire other prospective bodgers out there.  If so, do let me know and post some photos.
And of course the danger with completing models is that one is inspired to build something else!  Any thoughts?

11 comments:

Brian Carrick said...

Something else? How about some ww1 tanks, I seem to remember an episode of Blue Peter where they made one out of cigarette packets, I'm sure you could do much better!

Tim Gow said...

Brian Carrick
As it happens I’m working on some of the Weston Great War tanks....

Peter Douglas said...

Lovely bodge jobs. I like your solution on the weights. I have been known to use pennies to base figures instead of washers as the pennies generally cost less!

We played a FP naval outside in a hurricane So appreciate the risk of having one toys blow away.

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
And as the GBP falls in value, my M-113s are worth more!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

They work for me!

Paul Foster said...

You are all class Mr Gow. Excellent job.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Paul Foster are you still wagaming long tome sine your last Stalingrad post?
Hope all is well!
Geordie

Tim Gow said...

Paul Foster

That’s me!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Tim,

Paul Foster is a New Zealand wargamer blogger that stopped transmitting last year
In fact I think you swapped items with him in the past
He posts here but does not seem to answer queries on Plastic Warriors anymore
I was hoping he would post a return here

Unless you are telling me you are also Paul Foster?

Best Wishes
Mark

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
Yes I know Paul. I understand he’s busy with other (non-wargaming) commitments, hence his infrequent but very welcome comments.

Archduke Piccolo said...

I do miss Paul Foster's blog. It was one on my 'Must read' list. I think it has been several years now since he last posted on his blog spot. I understood (rightly or wrongly) that his machine went 'foom' and he wasn't in a position to replace it. So he was left bloggingly incommunicado.