Tuesday 9 June 2015

SAM for sale

For those of you who, like me, lament the disappearance of the Airfix SAM-2 kit, salvation may be at hand.  I have found one for sale!  I should, however, point out that rather than the 1:76 scale favoured by Airfix, this one is in the universally popular 1:1 scale.  So you'll need a bigger boxfile to store it.
I spotted this SAM - complete with it's ZIL-131 tractor unit was for sale at Brightwells classic car auction via a mention on my motoring website of choice, Honest John.  Which by coincidence is the name of another missile system.
Sadly since HJ's post the SAM has been withdrawn from the sale.  According to Brightwells:
PLEASE NOTE:This lot has been WITHDRAWN; due to Section 5(e) of the 1968 Firearms act. We hope to offer this item at a later date.

14 comments:

Arthur said...

I am excessively diverted.

Firearms Act? Well, I would have thought you really need a drivers licence only. Guess it needs to be endorsed suitably.

Mind you, road rage can be interesting with this rig...

Tim Gow said...

Arthur
It would certainly cause a stir driving (as I did recently) past RAF Wittering....

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

...had flat tyres anyway.... :o)

Peter Douglas said...

Too bad it is no longer available. This looks Lloyd the logical next step after Megablitz and LCW, 1:1 scale. Is the increase in vehicle size related to aging eyes?
Cheers, PD

Mad Padre said...

Pity. I see a bus in the background that MS Foy definitely needs for his collection.

Tim Gow said...

Steve the Wargamer
Surely that was a negotiating point?

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
Were you planning to bid? You'd need a hell of a lawn to use it in a game.

maximex said...

Great, very little has missiles of this scale
bloodhound and SAM and the V-2
This series has awakened again
Earlier it was 1:72

Tim Gow said...

Micheal Peterson
I expect the bus is there to carry the crew for the SAM...

Tim Gow said...

Maximex
This may have been rather lost in translation. As far as I know the Airfix SAM moulds are long gone.

maximex said...

Yes.
I have these few, and they are the 1960s
cardboard box, however, and exactly the same cover art

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Having a missile on the back would certainly discourage over enthusiastic tyre kickers! :-)

MSFoy said...

Marvellous - perhaps Jeremy Clarkson's next door neighbour could put one on the front lawn?

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

You are starting to scare me Tim
Any chance of some Fletcher Pratt naval scenarios in the near future?