Tuesday 13 June 2023

DDR Museum

An essential for any visitor to Berlin must surely be the DDR Museum.  This seeks to give a view of life before the wall came down, using photos, artefacts and reconstructions of a 'typical' workers' apartment and Stasi offices.

My favourite exhibit - a Volvo 264TE - as used by a few lucky and 'more equal' comrades.  The top brass preferred 2 and 7 series Volvos and Citroen CX rather then anything produced in the Communist bloc.  This, apparently, showed what a go-ahead country the DDR was.
Spacious office accommodation.  At least that's what I have by comparison with this.
"So comrade, where were you last Saturday?"
That Volvo again.
You might understand why I was drawn to this exhibit.  The toy soldiers are about 60mm, the AFVs about 1/87.  The real question I think is 'who killed the bear?'

And finally....no it's not my hotel room.  If you gave the wrong answers in the Stasi interrogation this was the next stop.

No comments: