Monday 18 January 2021

Italian preparations for The 32nd Battle of the Isonzo

 Bertrand recently ran a game set in 1917 and based on the many battles between the Italian and Austro-Hungarian armies for some sloping rock.  He hosted the game based on pre-planning carried out by the opposing commanders - Jack W (A-H) and your humble correspondent (Italian). 

Although there was clearly no need for my toys in this game I nevertheless photographed a few in order to enter more fully into the spirit of the thing.  And in the hope of intimidating the Austrians. The toys in question are all metal 54mm pre-painted figures I bought on eBay a few years ago. I based and varnished them.   I knew their day would come!

The staff. I particularly like the general’s ice pick - essential for breaking up glaciers to cool his Martini. 
The high-tech supply system. Or in extremis, lunch. 
Speaking of lunch, here the latest machine gun is deployed to defend the ministrone. 

I’m planning to run a version of this game in a couple weeks so full reports on both will follow after that. 

18 comments:

Simon said...

Love the soup kitchen!

Simon

Peter Douglas said...

Good idea to get the minestrone on the boil.

Pete. said...

Those look great Tim- nice to see the important things like the field kitchen are done- an army marches on its stomach.

Cheers,

Pete.

Chris Kemp said...

Dear Tim,

A soup kitchen. Cool!:-)

Regards, Chris.

tradgardmastare said...

Great figures and interesting to hear of Plastic B etc. I do hope we are going to hear more of him and the ensuing battle over the coming days...
Hope all is well with you and yours.

Brian Carrick said...

Gosh that MG is a corker! Nice to see the field kitchen, are you working on the mobile bath unit?

John Y said...

I love these figures! I have all but given up my search for a WWI Italian machine gun figure (I'll be "converting" some British 1/35) - is that the Del Prado alpini machine gun figure?

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Brilliant!

Tim Gow said...

Simon
You have to feed them if you expect them to fight.

Tim Gow said...

Peter Douglas
Boiling soup? You shock me sir!

Tim Gow said...

Chris Kemp
Cool soup would be Gazpacho....

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
The whole sorry tale of the battle will be recounted here.

Tim Gow said...

Brian Carrick
It’s hardly the weather for outdoor bathing!

Tim Gow said...

John Y
Thanks. All of these figures are Del Prado (or similar). I’ll be bodging other MGs from the usual plastic tat.

Tim Gow said...

Pete
I think an outdoor pizza oven would be a sensible(!) next step.

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
I have actual Italian soldiers too, but it’s no fun without the ‘chrome’.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

This is where I first left off .. then I missed ALL the other posts. I am shamed that I missed this game in the lead up to VCoW!

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
Fear not - the best follow up to a costly attack is....another costly attack!