Friday 26 July 2019

M-113 bodging - batch 2, part 1

 The recent Return to Golan game reminded me that I needed to address my shortage of M-113 APCs.
I therefore built a batch of ten - six in generic olive green and four more for my Israelis. Here are a couple of the completed models. These are 1/48 scale (more or less) for Little Cold Wars games. I’ll cover the build process in the next couple of posts.

The starting point. A slab of 2-inch insulation board is cut into chunks each the length of 2 M-113. 

8 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

They meet my main criteria: Did I instantly recognize it?

There can't be many vehicles with so few 'bits' sticking out?

Of course then yours go on to look better than what a model kit built by me would look like but I'm used to that.

Don M said...

A cheese wedge on tracks basically ….looks like what it's supposed to be .

Duc de Gobin said...

Ahhh I remember these from the last time you did them. Excellent work.
I recall my thoughts then, that the use of 2" insulation board, might provide the model with better protection than the real thing had ;)

Nigel Drury said...

The only other AFV I can think of as block shaped and with so few curves is the A7V but I suspect you're ahead of us on that one?

Tim Gow said...

Ross Mac
It’s looks about as good as a kit built by me too!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
I never thought of carving it from cheese!

Tim Gow said...

Duc de Gobin
That’s a harsh indictment of the mighty aluminium armour. Do you think that two coats each of paint and varnish qualifies as laminated armour?

Tim Gow said...

Nigel Drury
Happily the A7V problem is already solved: https://megablitzandmore.blogspot.com/2014/01/baden-and-lotti.html