Wednesday 8 May 2019

The attack on Fort Fisher - part 2

With a few of the Reb guns out of action and dwindling crew numbers, I brought the rest of my fleet into gunnery range and let rip.
Soon the interior of the fort was a mass of dismounted guns and shattered gunners.
This seemed like a good opportunity to land my troops.  This delightful little boat was picked up for only £3 in a charity shop.
My forces consisted of two regiments of infantry and a small detachment of sharpshooters.  As they landed their heroism was captured on film by...
...famous ACW photographer Matthew Brady.
Under the direction of the Beachmaster the regiments formed up for prayers and an assault on...
...the Confederate defences.  We could now see that the trenches were teeming with armed-to-the-teeth Rebs.
One of my regiments stormed forward under a hail of musketry and grapeshot.  At this point, B and I discussed what would happen next and agreed that with the troops available, the assault would eventually carry the fort.

The Federal general (actually Gen. Pickett but he looks about right) receives the casualty reports.  A bloody business.
To experience the 'feel' of the final assault check out this clip from the film 'Glory'.

6 comments:

Don M said...

and remember Fort Wagner never fell.....

tradgardmastare said...

Great film clip and game too.

Mad Padre said...

I found the figures far more impressive than the film clip. Not sure exactly it was from the famous "Glory" film, but hey. Loved the Brady figure!

Tim Gow said...

Don M
That’s because I usually command the Rebs!

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
It was indeed a great game

Tim Gow said...

Mad Padre
Blame the YouTube search function! I’ll pass your compliments to Matthew B.