Saturday 20 May 2023

A hard morning on the Eastern Front

Following the evening game this past week, I set it up again for Russell and I to run through.  

This time I allowed the Sovs to deploy across the whole table width.  While I took the Germans, Russell commanded the Sovs and took the wise decisions to not only commit his forces en masse but to concentrate on the German infantry rather than the more exciting business of AT gunnery.  This made a lot of sense as when the two German companies were worn down I would no longer be able to hold the ground.  

I went for a forward defence - the Panther platoon can be seen arriving. 
From my point of view there were a LOT of those bloody Russians! 

Advancing under cover of tank, mortar, infantry gun and MG fire, the Red infantry soon reached the German front line. When the T34s broke into my positions the game was pretty much up and it was time to head off. On the other hand, I claim the destruction of the BA-64 armoured car troop by my Panzerschreck platoon as a great moral victory!  
A very satisfactory game which took less than 2 hours to play. 

The Germans heading west. 

I also include some of Russell’s photos:




11 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

The unstoppable Red Wave attack

Brad DeSantis said...

Excellent game Tim, great looking, exciting, and a lot of fun! What more could you ask for?

Pete. said...

Glad the Soviets managed to take the day in the end.

Looks great.

Cheers,

Pete.

tradgardmastare said...

Looks terrific fun! Btw the tanks are 1/48 Solido , is that correct ?
Are you thinking of publishing these rules soon?

Martin Rapier said...

I'm glad the Russians hit on a winning formula eventually. I'm amazed so many of their infantry survived to make it I to the German front line. Well done Russell!

Tim Gow said...

Geordie
The attack was certainly pressed with vigour!

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
What more indeed!

Tim Gow said...

Pete
That reminds me - how was your interview with the Commissar?

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
I’ll do a separate post about the vehicles used in the game. The rules have been altered four times this week alone - so a long way from publication!

Tim Gow said...

Martin Rapier
I’m sure none of it was down to the poor German commander!

Martin Rapier said...

Tim, I am sure the German commander was fine. In just the same way as Goebbels announced the loss of the Sixth Army, "they succumbed to superior numbers and unfavourable circumstances".

I think the slightly longer infantry moves work better.