Wednesday 1 February 2023

Great War Italian Bersaglieri - part 1

 Following the apparent success a couple of years ago (where does the time go?) of my Isonzo game, I felt motivated to paint some of the Waterloo 1815 (so HAT) WW1 Italians I had in stock.  So naturally I couldn’t find them. Time passed and they finally surfaced a few months ago - doubtless during a search for something unrelated - so I decided their time had come.  

Next port of call was the appropriate volume of Funcken. I have no doubt gushed on about these wonderful books before and make no apologies for doing so again. 
Painting in progress. The figures have the Italian version of the Adrian steel helmet, adorned with Bersaglieri cockerel feathers. Or to put it in a rather less respectful way, chickens on their heads. To some of the figures I added cloaks made from kitchen tissue soaked in PVA. At the same time I repainted some old metal figures. 

One of my favourite paintings in the Funcken series - a double page spread showing various Italian troops in action. 


6 comments:

John Y said...

Love the cape idea!

I might steal that - I've got quite a few Bersaglieri surplus to needs.

Brad DeSantis said...

An excellent reference Tim and the paper cloaks are brilliant! I can't wait to see them completed!

tradgardmastare said...

A book well worth gushing about imho. I still have my copies from my youth. Looking forward to seeing how the figures come up. Do you have to paint them whilst running? 😂

Tim Gow said...

John Y
Go for it. Also useful for turning tunics into greatcoats and the like.

Tim Gow said...

Brad DeSantis
The various Funcken books have proved resistant to being pushed aside by newer works.

Tim Gow said...

Tradgardmastare
I didn’t paint while running. - but the results may indicate otherwise!