Paul (doesn't he get blamed for a lot?). I have liked the Matchbox M3 Stuart/Honey kit since it was released and I currently have quite a few of them 'on fleet'.
While the basic kit is fine for equipping early Yanks or Brits fooling around in the desert, I needed some M5s for my post D-Day US Armoured Divisions. Back in the days before the availability of cheap resin M5s, the obvious solution seemed to be a combination of a Matchbox M3 with some filler and swearing.
Clearly one wasn't going to be enough, so I dug out three Stuart kits from my 'stock' and set to work.
Having built the basic hull and (US) turrets as Matchbox intended, I then made the following adjustments:
Turret. Basically I stuck a big blob of filler to the rear of the turret and when dry, sanded it to more or less the correct shape.
Hull. I built up the rear decking with some scrap plastic and more filler, suitably disguised with bits of stowage. A the front, I cut new sloping armour from plastic card, stuck it into place and plugged the gaps with - more filler! Once again, some stowage helped to hide the poor quality of the workmanship...
Er, thats it.
As can be seen in the photos, despite building these over a decade ago and using the completed pair in several games, I have helpfully left one unpainted.