Saturday, 9 April 2011

Fiat G.50

Firstly an announcement.  Happy birthday to Lisa, my daughter.
All very well, but what has that got to do with the G.50? 
The truth is that the Airfix Fiat is all her own work - built and painted by her ten years ago - at the age of 10.  During a visit to Newark Air Museum (http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/), she expressed a desire to build a kit, and chose from the museum shop the Airfix F-5 'Freedom Fighter'.  With very little help from me she not only built but painted the F-5, followed by the Airfix Gnat in Red Arrows colours.  The two jets hung from her bedroom ceiling for some time but their eventual fate is unknown.
Returning to the Fiat, while it may be a bit rough round the edges, it is at least as good a build as I was knocking out at that age with paintwork not far short of what I manage now - after a further 35 years of practice!
I rediscovered the G.50 in a box in my attic recently.  It also contained another of Lisa's models - an Airfix Buffalo.  I'll post pics of this soon.
Sadly I have to report that her interest in such matters has waned after a promising start.  It is my proud boast that after some coaching she could tell the difference between a tank and a halftrack at the age of five!

6 comments:

Biff Tanner said...

This thing is awesome!

Tim Gow said...

Biff Tanner
Not bad for a 10-year old girl!

Paul said...

Nice bird (The Fiat not your daughter, not that there is anything wrong with her).

Like the Buffalo only the Finn's found their potential.

Bring on the Buff!

Don M said...

not bad at all!

Tim Gow said...

Paul
Buffalo coming soon...

Tim Gow said...

Don M
I'll try to engineer it into a game but don't hold your breath.